Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Prelude to a Kiss.


The kiss is a wonderful thing. Whoever devised the mouth as a contact surface for a show of affection was a genius. If you imagine it, the oral orifice as a tool of affection is rather brilliant. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines a kiss as:

1 : a caress with the lips
2 : a gentle touch or contact
3 a) a small drop cookie made of meringue, b) a bite-size piece of candy often wrapped in paper or foil
4 : an expression of affection

Truth be told, the kiss is vital to any relationship. Some people put all hopes on the first kiss. Others aren't so particular. But no matter where you are, there's probably been only one person you've kissed that really fits in a sense. Their mouth is the right shape, it always feels warm, and, most importantly...it feels right. Some people are lucky if they experience that more than twice in a lifetime. Sometimes you lose it, I guess.

Yes, I know what some of you are thinking..."he's heading in that direction". And you'd probably be expecting me to drop a line about lament. I won't. Because this is about kisses, not me. Not yet.

Calvin's dad always said about how the anticipation for something was just as beautiful as the reward. The same goes for a kiss. Those few moments before the actual contact are priceless. The anticipation. The waiting. The urge to just go all out and be ravenous. The knowledge that what happens after is pure desire. Sure, it's love...but can we stand to be in a relationship without kisses? Some of us can, yes. But for others, a kiss can be different. It can be sacred. It can be deadly. It can be sinful. It can betray. Judas kissed Jesus in Gethesmane. But let's not go there.

My preference for what should be in a kiss? Something warm. Something that I'd want to go back to over and over again. To see a smile on the face on whoever's on the other end every time. To know that they get as much out of it as I do. It doesn't have to be the best kiss in the world...only the best kiss to me. It has to be perfect to me; because I'd expect them to feel the same way of it. I know the feeling. And I want it badly now. Some of us are adamant to only kiss those who we love. And, as strange as it sounds, I agree. But then again, it would depend on your definition of a "relationship".

I think that these days, things have been cheapened. It'd be great to see something as simple as a kiss get the respect that it deserves. I'm not going to go into the premarital sex debate, because that's totally up to the people in it. I'm just here, talking about a kiss. The kiss. Not nose rubbing. Just kisses.

Some people have to wait their whole lives til they find that perfect one. I was luckier once. Hopefully I can be fortunate again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home