Friday, November 24, 2006

Strobe lights are a sacred cow.

I love clubbing. I don't go clubbing enough to back up that statement but I absolutely love it. It's dark yet lucidly lit, you're surrounded by a horde of beautiful people, the throb of a steady, pulsating bass beat feels soothing, you get your feet to move and you sweat off the day's worries. Once in a while there's the odd faggoty Hongkie who explicitly tries his utmost best to only pick up guys, but besides that, there's nothing really wrong with just dropping by and enjoying a night of dancing and debauchery with your mates (and their mates).

I can't differentiate between House and Techno, though I can probably identify a Jungle record and a Drum 'n Bass track. I saw Viva become Rush. I've popped by Emporium before it became Esplanade (Espanade?...feh). I've visited Thai Club and its fantastic selection of Sam Hui songs and its No Doubt cover band. I've been in Zouk a couple of times...nay, I've fucking performed in Zouk (though it didn't help in broadening my mass appeal). Malacca was an incredibly refreshing experience. I even remember that trip to Molecule back in my first semester in Taylor's (you can say the magic happened back there). And I don't think Laundry counts as a clubbing visit since it's more of a bistro...and the fact that my visit there was to watch indie music as opposed to pumping up my fist.

Somehow I don't feel that I fit into the whole clubbing scene. For starters, I rarely go clubbing...visits only tend to happen once, twice or thrice a year for me. Secondly, I'm more at home at an uppity bistro listening to incredibly horrible up-and-comers at Open Mic nights. Thirdly, I haven't really had a significant other who was really into clubbing. It helps when someone's rubbing their bum against your crotch.

(Well, it helps me.)

Tchaaaaa, as I look back and reflect upon the rubbish I've done, almost none of it has been done at a club. I'm just a nice, civic minded guy who tends to smoke a bit too much and just dances. I've never had someone come up to me and just dance with me, I've never had the opportunity to run my hands over an incredibly nubile body of someone I totally didn't know and I've never had the chance to get to know anybody incredibly amazing at a club (but you never do). Most outsiders would probably look at clubbing as something...dirty, but it's really not. You don't get to experience half the shit that people warn you about. Those fucking right-wings.

I'm not saying that clubbing's meant to be a family affair, and you always have to be wary of Chef Wan rubbing your thigh at Zouk (that's the second time I've mentioned him in the last month), but it won't kill you. Just drink responsibly, light up a Light every now and then and enjoy yourself. It's really that simple. It doesn't matter if you're flatfooted, or if you're the best Shuffler in town...clubbing has done one up over the Internet: you can be a King for a day (specifically, a good three to four hours).

I'm not a Liberal...I do believe that there's a certain limit of what you can pull off in any social situation. But clubbing seems to blur the lines. It's as if you've got an excuse to do whatever you want just because you're supposed to. And that's what we're meant to buy into...because that's the way it is.

Jesus. I've just read the first two statements I'd made in this post and realize that I'm coming across as a fucking Townie. And I also feel that I might be admitting to have hit a social rut (coz we're all peered to believe that clubbing is one of the foundations of Cool). And there's a sickening amount of positivity seething off every word.

I'll try my best to bottle my euphoria.

But I do like 'em nubiles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home