Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Family Tai, Part 2.


Reunions can either be joyous, boisterous affairs, or they could turn out like shit. Depending on who’s going to be there, you know that you’re bound for an interesting time, especially if there’re a clash of interests and perspectives held about everything. Fortunately, my immediate family holds only one pet peeve: a quaint dislike of Christians, or at least one of my missionary aunts (she’s not really a missionary, but she loves to spread the Word). I’ve just come back from two open house functions and a sit-in, and it’s been good. Yesterday (Day 1 of Chinese New Year) was spent mixing it up with the aunts and uncles whom I haven’t seen since one of my uncles’ wedding dinners back in November. Or December. Whenever.

Anyway, all things considered, I can say that my aunt [as in my eldest immediate uncle’s wife] knows my aunt. The latest Tai trend?...Buddhism. My aunt has borrowed a scripture book, and my uncle’s wife commented that my aunt was such an egoistical and proud person that Buddhism might not be the right religion for her. I agree.

Though she probably wouldn’t.

No one’s asked where my father is, and rightfully so…all I can tell them would be to ask my aunt. Daddy isn’t here. Again.

There’s nothing much to write about, really. Chinese New Year celebrations go on like clockwork. But I really don’t want this break to end.

You can’t always get what you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home