Saturday, January 07, 2006

the story of us - part 2

my parents' wedding photo had been hanging on my wall when my room was being occupied by my grandfather, amongst graduation photos belonging to my father, aunt and uncle, as well as a family portrait. my uncle had taken back his graduation photo once my grandfather passed away and the room was vacated. i had taken down the wedding photo.

my father's side of the family (excluding my eldest uncle) were staying in cheras, right up my mother's road. my parents had initially met there. my father would give her and her mother lifts when he was leaving the house for work. i suppose that it started back there. i haven't asked either of them about the courtship...i suppose that it was really a thing of convenience. i guess that my maternal grandmother must have somehow discussed wedding plans with my paternal grandparents.

lo and behold, they got married. my father says he married my mother because he thought she was an independent woman, who was responsible, stable, educated with the ability to carry on her own career. i don't know why my mother married my father. she had told me about how she had a boyfriend in singapore at the time, and how things would've been different if she'd gone over there.

whatever works for her, i guess.

there're a few things that might or might not have happened during the early years of the union.
  1. my mother might've miscarried my elder sister/brother
  2. she might've sabotaged my grandparents' visit to the phillipines
  3. my father might've threatened to divorce her, upon which my grandmother begged him to forgive her
  4. the same as above, except that my grandmother told him (to paraphrase blink 182) to stay together for the kid

one thing led to another. it's been an accumulated bag of misadventures between them. i suppose that it ultimately struck when my mother found out about the other woman. and then she decided to go primitive on my father.

being so close to the end of it, now, i have to wonder what's going to happen in the future. there's speculation that i'm going to get a stepmother. my father hasn't discussed his future plans with anyone, save divorcing my mother as quickly as possible. estranged as they are, my mother isn't willing to give my father what he wants quite yet.

i'm not torn between two sides, but i have to admit i still am a bit bothered by the whole mess. but whatever happens in the end, i can safely say that both parties are screwed in the head somewhat. and possibly, their begotten son as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home