Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Rebel Sell.

In a moment of inspiration, I finally conceded towards my impulse to purchase The Rebel Sell: How the Counterculture Became Consumer Culture, by Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter. I know myself too well; I'll probably never finish this book, let alone start it. I have to promise myself that I'll try my best to make use of my investment... I'd been longing for it for so long, and the irony stems from the fact that I don't quite know what to do with it now.

Except for to read it. And in a twisted way, at the end of it all, I can come to terms with my own inabilities to find my place in the world.

The rear blurb:
It is hard to ignore the growing tide of resistance to the corporate-dominated world. But do vocal opponents of the status quo offer us a real political alternative?

Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter shatter the central myth of radical political, economic and cultural thinking. The idea of a counterculture - that is, a world outside of the consumer dominated one that encompasses us - pervades everything from the anti-globalisation movement to feminism and environmentalism. And the idea that mocking the system, or trying to 'jam' it so it will collapse, they argue, is not only counterproductive but has helped to create the very consumer society that radicals oppose. Heath and Potter offer a startingly clear picture of what a concern for social justice might look like without the confusion of the countercultural obsession with being different.
--------------------------------------
Goodness, I feel pretentious.

On a stranger note, if you'd like to read an extremely eloquent account about the highlight of my day, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home