Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Some things are worth a running nose.

The highlight of my day was playing a crude game of futsal on a basketball court with a bunch of neighbourhood boys who're significantly younger than me. While most of you might probably chuckle at the mention of the age difference (and I know a number of you might be doing so for altogether sadistic reasons), I felt that it was entirely liberating and just a throwback to the days when I could have good, clean fun. I feel energized when I'm surrounded by these idiots, who're yet to realize their potential in the world. Not that it matters; when you're trying to kick a ball at a single, solitary cone at the other end, you don't really think about your place in the world.

What made it even better was that it started to rain. I'm usually adverse to the rain, but the transition from a sun-soaked day to a sploshy one absolutely nailed it. I walked back, and hung outside my garage for a few moments to enjoy the rain before I caught a glimpse of my neighbour staring at me from her sofa...despite my stand on how it's a great thing, I suppose that everyone feels embarassed.

Maybe I should find more things to do with my life, but for those few minutes in the rain, I felt content and free.

At the pace that we live in now, we don't have time to stop and smell the pollen...and I guess that if you saw me, you probably would've thought that I was a freak of sorts...an overgrown baby who can't grow up, biding his time playing with the boys. Maybe I am...but for that hour or two that I spend, I don't have a care in the world, and it's just as good, if not better, than the solitary Me-Time that I get when I smoke in college.

We're too myopic at times when it comes to being "proper". We should really try to accept the fact that it's okay to act a little bit younger than our years, and understand that it's alright to turn a blind eye to maturity once in a while. It's good to look back at where you came from and just jump in every now and then.

For fuck's sake, relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home