Sunday, April 29, 2007

The angioplasty.

I'm in good enough of a mood to exhale and relax a little. My father went for an angioplasty, and it was the longest hour of my life. Waiting outside an operating room at 1 in the morning in a deserted area of the hospital is probably something that I'll never forget. The silence was forboding, and was broken by the occasional prayer my uncle would make. It was terrifying.

After it was over, the cardiologist told us that the heart attack was 'massive'. My dad was threading on an artery experiencing a 100% blockage. The most severe part of it was taken care of, but he's going to have to go in to receive treatment for the remaining arteries. I suppose I can say he's an actual V12 that's been running as a V6 for the last few years and now they're trying to make him a V10.

Back to the angioplasty; I'd never heard of the it before, but it's basically an operation where a totally blocked blood vessel is widened through mechanical or artificial means. It's obviously not over yet. With a few more operations scheduled in, it's going to make a strain on my father's heart. Literally.

It's humbling that Life can gnaw at us and spit us out, always. We can't cheat it.

It's going to be a long day later. I've got to go north and pick up my aunt's car from the workshop, and then speed back and visit my dad. Along with trying to find his mates to tell them of his condition. As well as the stepmother, which should be bizarre, seeing how I haven't spoken to her since I left Brazil.

It might be too early to heave a sigh of relief, and there's a lot more to be done, but I'm quite thankful to Whoever's in charge that I've been given the luxury to be able to pop a smile on my face. Truly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home