Saturday, June 23, 2007

The day that capitalistic convenience gastronomy was somewhat silenced.

I feel quite sad that the government has banned fast food commercials during childrens' television programming...that's one more hurdle for the Golden Arches and the Colonel to face in this begotten country. I understand that children should be granted the right to nutritious food, but isn't it the responsibility of the parents to ensure that their kids are eating right whenever they're around them? It's not as if children have the power to arm-twist their folks into taking them for a festive fast food frenzy feast, is it...? (Unless modern parents are just merely too busy to bother, or even worse, total pushovers.)

I mean, if little Foo decides to beg and plead and whines and sobs like the little bitch that he is to be taken to McD's, why not just give him a smack and tell him that fast food is the work of the Devil? It worked on me. Of course, I've offsetted the lack of fast food in my childhood and youth with my recent frequent visits to the land of the Golden Arches these last few years, but I was fully informed and aware of the dangers of fast food as a child and teen, and tried my best to maintain a good record for healthy eating. I tried.

Honestly...if you don't want your kids to eat too much fast food (or any fast food at all, if you're picky), it's really your responsibility to ensure that you don't bring them to any outlets...plus, you can also warn them early about the dangers of buying into big-budgeted marketing campaigns; not to buy into what the media sells. Oh...don't give them enough allowance money to grant them the ability to actually visit a fast food joint. Though, admittedly, it'd be hard for them not to cave in to peer pressure; that's where active involvement in their formative years comes into play, no? Why...yes.

There's nothing better than a responsible parent.

Right?

Ah, well. It's as if a completely bored Government has decided to take a shaky stand on an issue that shouldn't even be raised in the first place. I applaud the Government for caring, but why not ensure that all the kids get nutritious, balanced meals at school as well...is there some sort of nationwide campaign championing for better food at school cafeterias? How about properly implementing such a program and taking action against unresponsive cafeteria operators?

How about some form of enforcement against those nice gentlemen who prey upon kids who've just been dismissed from classes, peddling ice cream? Mayhaps the Government can run an uproariously hillarious ad campaign that appeals to all ages by showing how prolonged consumption of fast food turns you from a waif to Ken Davitian's long-lost brother before you turn 25?

On an unrelated yet related issue, it's great to know that the powers-that-be hold the opinion that children aged 12 and under don't read the papers. Campaigns such as the NIE program's attempts to get kids to read the dailies in school would be deemed as failures, then. Let's not forget that chains such as Pizza Hut have been sponsoring such campaigns regularly. Big whoop. Then again, looking at the state of the print media in this country, I'd be quite glad that most kids don't read such trite.

I can be thankful that the ads will still be shown on prime time, no? Like that great wave of anticipation that washes over me each January, when I know that the Prosperity Meal's coming back...with the Prosperity Burger, curly fries and Orange McFizz returning to light up my days (and nights).

You can take the boy out of the fast food, but you can't take the fast food out of the boy. Or is it the other way around? I'm not so sure.

Excuse me, while I enjoy my Spicy McChicken Deluxe.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home